Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The early days of my golf game, and Golf this week.

As I have said in my profile, I started playing golf about three years ago with a 30 + handicap.  Today, I am shooting around 15.  I have never taken any formal lessons, I have basically been observing the greats and mimicking their strokes.  I also watch tutorial videos on youtube.  I have played sports for a good portion of my life, just not golf.  I have played tennis for about 18 years.  I ran track and swam in high school as well.  I have to say, however, that playing golf has been one of the more challenging feats I have taken on in my life.  I hated playing at first, but for some reason I stuck with it; and I am glad that I did.
Golf is a game of finesse.  The more I realized that the more my game improved.  When I first started out, I was swinging uncontrollably, focusing on the basics I learned on youtube and swinging with all my might.  Needless to say I broke a couple clubs doing this.  As soon as I slowed my swing and focused on the fundamentals of golf, I was able to stay calm and my game improved dramatically.  For golfers that are first starting out, remember that distance is not important.  The important part is keeping a cool head while focusing on fundamentals.  Distance will come as your swing improves.
I hate to be preachy with these posts, I just thought I would mention something important.  A few things that are happening this week in golf.  Tiger Woods is back in his second tournament of the year this week at the Quail Hollow golf tournament.  A transcript of his interview conducted today can be found here.  Along with Phil Mickelson and Sean O'Hare.
I will also be playing 18 holes this weekend at Indiana University golf Course.  I will be blogging live about my progress this weekend.  I will also blog the Quail Hollow tournament beginning on Thursday.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment